ASM’s Global Health programs support laboratory strengthening in resource-limited settings to advance the microbial sciences and enhance health systems. Our programs focus on improving five key areas of public health in order to establish sustainable quality-assured diagnostic capacity:
- Quality Management Systems
- Biosafety and Biosecurity
- Strategic Planning
- Outbreak Detection and Response
- Workforce Development
To improve public health outcomes by empowering and integrating microbiology laboratories into clinical care and population surveillance.
Support Our Work
ASM's Global Public Health Programs are funded in part through generous contributions from our donors. To support the crucial work of this program, please contribute to Global Public Health Programs.
How We Do It
Laboratories are critical to public health. We focus on strengthening laboratories in resource-limited countries:
- Developing a workforce through mentorship and training.
- Shaping policy and strategic approaches.
- Establishing sustainable, quality-assured diagnostic capacity.
- Improving biosafety and biorisk management.
- Supporting outbreak detection and response.
- Advising on laboratory planning and operationalization.
- Global Health Leadership: leverage microbiology resources and a community of experts to improve public health and optimize the quality, data reliability and safety of laboratory services.
- Service-focused Partnerships: design and deliver sustainable solutions that strengthen leadership roles of partner countries.
- Equity: engage ASM’s diverse membership for an empowered collaboration that helps shape and advance representation in global public health microbiology.
- Innovation: ally with collaborators and funding partners to identify and pursue new opportunities to translate microbiology into impact.
- Integrity: maintain a focus on technical objectivity, cost-effective programming, professionalism and sound fiscal stewardship.
ASM’s Global Health team implements these efforts through a combination of providing technical assistance, training and mentoring approaches, and leveraging our cadre of over 500 subject matter experts (SMEs) and extensive locally-based ASM members.